What Writing is

9/6/2022

There is no one true definition of what writing is. The dictionary definition of writing is “the activity or skill of marking coherent words on paper and composing text.” Writing like many other things is subjective. Everyone writes differently. Everyone uses their ability to write for something different. Writing has been around since the beginning of time. The way that a lot of history is documented is in writing. And the ability to write can be used for many things. Feeling stressed? Write about it. Want to remember something at a later time? Jot it down on a sticky note. Need a way to express creativity? Scribble it down on a piece of paper. Want to confess your undying love for someone? Write a letter or a poem or a song. There are so many things that can be written and there are so many uses for writing. The way you write can be happy or sad, positive or negative, anything really, there is a plethora of emotions and feelings that can be written about and that can inspire someone to start writing.Writing is a form of art essentially. Stories, plays, poems, songs, sonnets, and so many more are forms of written art. You can write something that not many people will agree with and leave them feeling unpleasant. you can write something that will emotionally touch the hearts of many. Or you can write something that is complete and total nonsense just because you have the ability to do so. I don’t consider myself a writer, or at least not a particularly good one. It’s not that I don’t necessarily like to write it is the fact that I never know what to write. And anything that I write with my own words I never actually like. I have many things that I can write

about, but when the time comes to actually get something down on a piece of paper my mind always comes up blank. It’s as if every thought I’ve ever had just simply vanished from my brain. I prefer to read what others write instead. Whether it is a book that has a story so interesting I can’t look away or some commentary that a random, faceless, nameless person posted on a social media site, I’m always reading what another wrote. To me, writing is something that causes me stress rather than relieves it. A lot of thetimes when I have to write something and my mind once again come out blank it leaves mestressed and frustrated. A fairly common way to relieve stress is to keep a journal or notebook and write down everything that you are feeling. I’ve tried maintaining a notebook to record my thoughts and small actions, such as what I did that day, and my feelings, but I always forget about it after three to four days, and that journal is never to be seen or touched again. But me not being able to find anything to write about is not always the case. On rare occasions, I sometimes find an idea that I am really passionate about and I can go on and write for pages at a time without running out of what to say. It really all comes down to the circumstances of what I have to write about.